Six-year-old pupil dies and another in hospital after outbreak of invasive bacteria at primary school

A six-year-old pupil has died and another is in hospital after an outbreak of invasive bacteria at a primary school in Surrey.

The year 1 Ashford Church of England School pupil caught the invasive Group A streptococcal (iGAS) infection, it was said in an email to parents.

UK Health Security Agency South East’s (UKHSA) health protection consultant Dr Claire Winslade confirmed the death.

“We are extremely saddened to hear about the death of a pupil at Ashford Church of England School, and our thoughts are with their family, friends and the school community,” she said.

“As a precautionary measure, we have recommended antibiotics to pupils and staff in the same year groups as the individuals affected.

“We have provided advice to the school to help prevent further cases and will continue to monitor the situation.”